who writes my story?


Malang, 30 Sep. 19

who owns my life?
they say this and that.
do the way they do and shut up.
no questions no choices.
is it because the way I look?
is it because I was born like this?

where do I belong?
they say my life is at home.
bedroom, kitchen, bathroom,
are my whole world, my nature.
so why did God create this universe
if my only world is just a square?
am I not deserving it?

who writes my story?
they say I don’t need a pen
or book or knowledge.
everything is already decided.
just sit and do.
no questions, no criticism.
so what are my mouth, fingers,
brain, and heart for
if the only thing I’m allowed to do
is silent?

who am I?
I’m not what they say.
I own my life.
I belong to where I want to be.
I write my story,
not with their pen,
but with my own one.

zaturania




Notes : I wrote this piece because I was inspired by Tara, the main character of a memoir entitled Educated. Reading this book broke my heart. There are a lot of patriarchal statements mentioned by her dad and her male friend. She suffered mentally because her parents were fundamentalist and very abusive. She lost her freedom to be who she was. She even questioned her identity a lot until she got really depressed. I highly recommend this book for everyone especially for those who want to know deeply about the effects of having toxic family. It’s worth to read indeed.

image taken from Google

Comments

Popular Posts